Global

North Korea foreign minister: Trump has 'lit the wick' of war

North Korea foreign minister: Trump has 'lit the wick' of war

President Trump has "lit the wick of war", North Korean Foreign Minister Ri Yong Ho says.

He said the Defense Department is confident in the security of its operations in Korea, including its ability to deal with threats from the North.

It is a rare admission of weakness by the North Korean regime that normally prides itself on being always right and being a major military power-with claims that it can destroy Japan, South Korea, and major cities in the United States with nuclear weapons.

North Korea has invested heavily in its cyber warfare capabilities and is believed to have an army of several thousand cyber warriors, many of which received advanced training overseas. While it is not unusual for submarines to be active in the region, it is rare for their locations to be disclosed.

Guam, from where the B-1 bombers in Tuesday drills departed, has been a particular target of North Korean threats.

The vessels are the first to be designated under stepped-up sanctions imposed on North Korea by the 15-member council in August and September over two long-range ballistic missile launches and Pyongyang's sixth and largest nuclear test.

During Tuesday's drills, the U.S. bombers, which flew from the Andersen Air Force Base in Guam, staged simulated air-to-ground missile striking drills off the peninsula's east coast before flying across the country accompanied by the two South Korean fighters.

"We can't let this to go on".

The documents are said to include plans for destroying the North Korean leadership if a war takes place. He also boasted that his nation has almost achieved a "balance of force" with the U.S.

"The Korean-American relationship is very important and our visit to Chinhae gives us the opportunity to strengthen the outstanding relationship that exists between the U.S. and [South Korea]", said Cmdr.

"While I would not characterize them as the best in the world, they are among the best in the world and the best organized", Army Gen. Vincent Brooks, commander of U.S. Forces Korea, told the Senate last year.

The South Korean military said this was part of a regular exercise to bolster military defences and also to display the alliance between the United States and South Korea.

His statement follows weeks of escalating tensions between North Korea and the US, fuelled by Pyongyang's repeated nuclear tests and Trump's tough talk.

Rhee said yesterday the hack had been made possible via "a simple mistake" after a connector jack linking the military's intranet to the internet had not been eliminated after maintenance work had been done on the system. The emails included fake invitations to a fundraiser and were designed to trick victims into downloading malware.

In Washington, the Pentagon said it was aware of the media reports but would not comment on the potential breach.